Monday, October 27, 2014

Solitary Nature

Not too long ago, I had a conversation with a "friend" that went something like this.

"There I invited Mom, she probably won't come, she doesn't get out much."

"I wondered where you got it.."

The implication being that there is something wrong with not wanting to go out all the time.   The thing is, there's not.   There's nothing wrong with not getting out much.   I went to that event and not long after (12 hours or so) she ended the friendship over facebook and blamed me for it.  On Facebook.  

I digress.   For you social butterflies, being introverted really is a thing.  It's a whole personality type. There are lots of people like me.   Believe it or not, some people do not like going out every weekend, constantly going somewhere with someone every moment of the day and having parties every friday night with lots and lots of booze.

Some of us think that actually sucks.  Some of us need time to recharge our batteries after dealing with people all day long.   Don't get me wrong, I love people.  With the right person, I even love sex.  I love talking to people and spending time with them.  I really do.   It's just freaking exhausting to me.

Absolutely exhausting.  

So if you love an introvert, try to be kind.  Don't take it personal when we don't call for weeks at a time. It's not you, it's us.  It's us and our job that we love where people are constantly calling our names and wanting our attention.  We're exhausted when we come home.   Those hours we spend watching TV or reading huge books?  That's our kind of fun.   When we come home from church and sleep for four hours?  Don't want to go to evening services?  That's because all that attention we just paid to God and all those people for all time just sucked the life right out of us.   Don't get us wrong, we're happy, we just aren't ready to do it again five hours later.

Unless it's choral evensong, then I'm all over it, because that is worth getting back up after my Sunday afternoon nap.

Most of the time, so are you, my lovelies, but try not to talk me into it too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment