Sunday, June 4, 2017

Only 9 am

Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them, "Men of Judea and all who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to what I say. 15 Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o'clock in the morning. 16 No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Jo'el

I know, file this under the myriad of reasons I'm probably headed to hell, but this is one of the things that  make me giggle.  Not so much about the original joke, as remembering the first time I realized what he was actually saying.

Let me narrow this a bit for you:  Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o'clock in the morning. 

"It's too early for us to be drunk yet."  That's what Peter is saying.  Peter, yes, that Peter, is reassuring the crowd that it is too early for him and his friends (who let's face it, had gotten extra weird in the last couple of weeks) to be "lit".   

I remember the first time I realized what he was saying.   I cackled aloud in church.  Not entirely sure I wasn't standing at the lectern.  It was the first time Peter, as seen in scripture, came off as funny to me.   It happened again today, and of course, someone saw it.  (I didn't cackle aloud, which is good, as I sit under a hanging mic.) 

 

1 comment:

  1. Peter and the gang would have learned to appreciate scotch from Jesus. Jesus would have to learned to appreciate it from the time he visited England as a boy with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea. Jesus was allowed to have a wee dram so that he would know what the nectar tasted like.

    ReplyDelete