Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bagels and Bread, the Cranberry edition

Last weekend I decided I wanted Cranberry bagels.   I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but it was pretty good so I'll share the recipe:

The Dough:

2 C. Warm Water
1 envelope instant yeast
2 Tbl white sugar

Let this hang out on the counter for about ten minutes until it's good and frothy if you're feeling ambitious.   Otherwise, just mix thoroughly.

Add the following ingredients in order

1 Tbl canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 C. Whole wheat flour.   (I used White whole wheat flour)
1 package dried cranberries from Walgreens.  (3/4 C) 
4-5 C all purpose flour.

Knead about forever with the dough hook on the kitchen aid stand mixer.   I think I spent about 20 minutes at it.    Just make sure the gluten is fully developed.   The dough should feel nice and smooth, not too sticky.  Coat dough in oil (more Canola) and place in a glass/non metal bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and leave in a warm place.  I put it on my stove top with the hood light on for added warmth.  

Let rise for two hours, or till the dough is double in size.  I waited until mine was grazing the top of the plastic wrap that I put on the bowl. 

Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it in aluminum foil if you don't enjoy trying to scrub anti stick spray off them like me and coat with the non stick spray.  Take the dough out of the bowl and punch down.  Grab a handful of it and roll up to form a ball, punch a hole in it to form a bagel.  I made twelve medium sized bagels from the dough this way.  You can make more or less as desired.


After forming the bagels, boil about two quarts of water with several teaspoons of salt while the bagels rest about ten minutes.    While they are resting, take the remaining dough and form a loaf with it.   I put it in the same bowel I let the dough rise in and baked it in that when it was done rising but make sure it's oven safe before you try that.





Let rise about an hour or until double in size.   Score with a serrated knife.  If desired (You don't have to, but it was delicious), melt one table spoon of unsalted butter with one teaspoon of sugar and baste all over the unbaked bread.   Leave no drop of butter in your cup.  Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until done.   It will sound hollow when you knock on it if done.

But back to the bagels:

Now that the water is boiling, add your bagels three at a time to the boiling salt water.   Let boil about one minute on each side, remove with a slotted spoon and place on the cookie sheet.   Repeat with all bagels.    Bake the bagels at 450F for about 15-20 minutes or until they are pretty and sound hollow when you knock on them.  

The finished product:





Here is the nutrition info based on my estimates from myfitnesspal.com.  Bear in mind, I assumed a third of the loaf of bread was a serving because I LOVE bread.



Serves  people
IngredientsCaloriesCarbsFatProteinFiberSat Fat
Walmart Great Value - All Natural Dried Cranberries, 0.75 cup293740050Ico_delete
Best Choice - All Purpose Flour, 4 cup1,600352048160Ico_delete
Gold Medal - Unbleached All-Purpose Wheat Flour - White, 1 cup4008801220Ico_delete
Wesson - Canola Oil, 3 tablesppon360042003Ico_delete
Sugar - White Granulated Sugar, 8 teaspoon120320000Ico_delete
Add Ingredient
Total:27735464260233
Per Serving:185363420
Happy baking!!   Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment