Thursday, September 26, 2013

Enid City Ordinances

There is a new city ordinance being discussed that would make it illegal to fire someone based on their sexual orientation.   There's also a rumor going around that the local ministerial alliance is passing around a form letter meant to express disapproval of this.

Here's the email I sent to the entire city council:

Please adopt it.  Word is going around that several area ministers have been using a form letter and saying they’re speaking on behalf of their entire congregation.  Please let me know if our (St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church) priest does this because if he does I’m going to put sour cream in his coffee on Sunday morning.  I know many of my friends feel the same way and my glbt friends don’t feel SAFE in this town. Things need to change.   No, it won’t make you popular with everyone but doing the right thing rarely does and it will be good for the long term.    I’ve lived here my entire life and the only reason I’m still here is because I believe things can and will change.
 Please don’t disappoint us.   Voting this down will keep people from staying and it will keep talented awesome folks from coming here because they or their families won’t feel safe.
 Thank you
 Leslie Terrell

I highly recommend all of you do the same.  Here's a newspaper article about it.  Stop while it's still loading and you won't have to subscribe. (I'm vicious, I know.)  Here's a directory of all Enid City employees.
Please and thank you. 

And if you use this information to get all anti-gay, please feel free to undfriend me on facebook. 

Updated:  Much to my surprise, Fr. Doug read my blog post.  This was his response:

David , Lisa  and Christy Lyn like this.
  • Douglas  Just so you know, your priest wrote the president of the EMA severely criticizing him for speaking on behalf of the clergy of Enid when he hadn't even brought the subject up at a meeting. He clearly believes he knows more than God about who is worthy of God's love. Oh, I also quit the EMA.
  • Leslie  Bless you. I was furious when I saw it on Kristi s page. This 'on the behalf of their congregation' crap is uncalled for. I get it...they want it to be completely legal to be jerks and blame it on God. I don't think they know their people as well as they think they do.
  • Leslie Terrell Just thought of this, Douglas  may I copy and paste your comment as an amendment to my blog post?
  • Douglas  Sure
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment