Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Can we pretend this didn't actually happen?

There is a bill going through our state legislature right that's trying to set Oklahoma back 60 years.

Change that to Straight and Gay Respectively


In an effort to bolster our image as a state, our legislators are taking the lgbt community's claim to be the new Civil Rights Movement quite seriously and are trying to pass a new version of Jim Crow Laws for our states' businesses that want to legally discriminate against them.  Apparently, they've decided that being religious and offended actually gives some people special rights.   You can read it here.

There is a wide misconception that being offended by something conveys special rights on the offended.  Pardon me for saying so, or not, I don't really care, but who gives a shit what offends someone?  Seriously.  Who cares?   There's a point in everyone's life where they will encounter people who are not like them and have to deal with the fact that they posses different opinions or life circumstances than those people.   So what?

Being offended does not convey special rights to someone.  Eventually, most of us by virtue of age pass for adults.  So someone likes music you don't like? So what!  So someone comes into a business tattooed in swastikas and white pride, do we get to tell them, in a twist of irony, that we don't serve their kind there?  I don't.   Why should someone running another type of business or even the same type of business I work in get to do that because they don't like that their customers are lgbt?   Enshrining this is in the law is INSANE.
Oklahoma, I love you.  I really do.   I was born here, my parents were born here, and I've always lived here.  I just wish you would quit trying to pass insane laws for bullshit reasons to pander to our crazies.  The budget cuts would hurt less if we didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money defending unconstitutional laws.  Please don't do this.

All my sane friends please take a minute to use this to contact your state legislators.  Tell them EXACTLY what you think about this bill and that you do NOT want it to pass.  Please.  If it passes, I'm going to start refusing to serve jackass Christians who thinks Jesus hates gays.

No comments:

Post a Comment