Friday, June 5, 2015

Exaltation

I'm one of those people who rather die than be noticed sometimes.    Other  times, I wish to God someone would pay attention to something I did or grew or made.
On a related note, here's a lily in my yard
I don't want to be the one to point it out, but I really want you to notice it.   (I think that's what pictures on facebook are for.)

I really don't want to be the one to point it out.  Most of the time.   So I don't understand why someone would point to themselves, preen, and basically inform the world that they're awesome.   More specifically, I don't understand why Josh Duggar runs around telling people his family is the epitome of conservative Christian values when he molested his sisters when he was a teenager.   I mean why would you do that?  Why would you do that in the first place, even if you hadn't abused the trust of your baby sisters?

It really worries me when someone tells other people how holy they are.   This is why:
Luke 18:9-14 
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income." 13But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" 14I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.'
I can't avoid this gospel reading if I try.   It gets read in church at least once a year. It comes up in the daily office readings.  Even if I managed to sleep or pre-coffee drinking drool my way through one instance of it and ignore it a little, it's going to pop up again.  I can't avoid it.  Public declarations of all the stuff I manage to not do wrong are out.  I realize this is a caricature, a teaching device, that the Lord is using, but I'm a little worried about the stuff I hear coming out of people's mouths.  To be honest with you, I've been worried about it since high school when I saw several hundred purity pledges taped to the trophy case outside the library.  Never mind what it said about the worth and purity of the souls of the people signing them being dependant on what they did with their junk, here were hundreds of people declaring that they were not like those other skanks and whores they went to school with.   Not like those sinners.   

Not like those sinners, my ass, they were one drunken back seat romp with someone they were infatuated with from starring in Juno or Teen Mom.   I'm not standing here on a high horse, I was pretty dumb in high school too.   I was just too reserved to put something I felt was between me and God and a possible boyfriend/spouse (Our church doesn't typically do stuff like this) on the wall outside the library at the high school.  That was and is private. 

The Josh Duggars of the world, and the Jim Bobs and Michelles that make them (apparently having babies until the lower part of your body is regularly compared to a clown car is part of a larger movement) have always left me wondering what they were hiding.  The Family Research Council, and the Moral Majorities of the world are plagued with scandals.  Something is always lurking under the surface.   Something is definitely lurking beneath the surface when a man talking about someone molesting his own daughters, even when it's his son makes the distinction that his son was technically a child himself at the time when a reporter (Meghan Kelly of all people) points out the disgusting hypocrisy of Michelle Duggar robo-calling people in her state about how transgendered folks are going to come after children in public restrooms.

I wasn't to write about this. I really wasn't.  Then that gospel passage came up in the Daily Office readings right after I watched those two forget that women are people too on television. 

Oh Lord God, have mercy on me, a sinner. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment